What is the Citizen Police Academy?
The Owensboro Police Department has found that education has been most effective in gaining understanding and support from the community. The Citizen Police Academy offers citizens insights into how police officers perform their duties and how the department serves the community.
Mission of the Academy
The purpose of the Citizen Police Academy is to foster better communication between citizens and police through education. The Academy will create a nucleus of well-informed citizens who possess greater insight into police practices and services. Graduates of the Academy can share their knowledge and experiences with the community as the opportunity arises. Everyone benefits from enhancing citizen understanding of the role and function of their police department.
Instruction consists of one 3-hour class held each week for a duration of ten weeks. This instruction is comprehensive, covering a different area of the Owensboro Police Department each week.
Certified police officers, supervisors, and civilian instructors with particular expertise will conduct each topic. All classes are free.
A vital part of the Academy is participating in role playing and scenarios. These simulations will provide an opportunity for a unique “hands-on” learning experience. Students will also have the option, on a voluntary basis, to ride with a patrol officer, and take a tour of the Owensboro Police Headquarters.
Course schedule may include the following subjects/events:
- Tour of OPD Headquarters
- Patrol Operations
- Hiring Process
- Professional Standards
- Criminal Investigations
- Hazardous Material Recovery
- D.U.I. – portable breath test/intoxilyzer
- Arrest/Handcuffing Procedures
- Officer Safety
- Dispatch – Codes & Signals
- Street Crimes – Surveillance Equipment, Undercover Operations
- OPD Firing Range – Firearms Demonstration
- Emergency Response Team – Dynamic Entry, Rappelling
- K-9 Officer – Training, Capabilities, Demonstration
Who may attend the Academy?
- Any interested citizen who resides or works in the City of Owensboro is encouraged to attend.
- Citizens involved with the Owensboro community in some way, such as youth involvement, neighborhood watch, and neighborhood groups are very important to the Academy.
- Citizens 18 years of age or older.
- Citizens with no prior felony convictions.
When is the Academy?
The Academy is 10 Weeks beginning August 3, 2023, every Thursday at 6:00 P.M.
How do I apply to the Academy?
To apply, fill out the form and drop off at the Owensboro Police Department.
For more information, please contact:
OPD Crime Prevention Unit at 270-687-8826