The Owensboro Police Department is accepting applications for the position of Police Officer – Lateral Transfer.
See below for information if you are certified in Kentucky or in another state.
If you have any questions or want to confirm our receipt of your application,
call 270-687-8861 or 270-687-8867.
Lateral Transfer Police Officer (From Kentucky)
To be considered for a lateral transfer, applicant must:
- Currently be a full-time peace officer and have 3 years of full-time law enforcement experience.
- Be POPS certified and such certification must be portable or POPS certifiable and such certification must be obtained without having to attend the DOCJT Basic Training Academy.
Lateral Transfer Police Officer (From Outside of Kentucky)
- You must currently be a full-time peace officer and have 3 years of full-time law enforcement experience.
- Before your application can be considered, you must first be approved through the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council (KLEC).
- You will need to send your Basic Training Transcript which needs to include the number of hours (along with a Certificate of Completion) to KLEC, see the link below.
Reserve Police Officer
- All POPS and other police officer requirements must be met as would be for a full-time police officer.
- Post-offer, pre-employment requirements will be the same as when hiring lateral transfer police candidates.
- Typically, retired Owensboro Police Department officers are considered for these positions. However, the Chief may consider offering such a position to any other POPS certified officer from another agency, following the same pre-employment and post-offer requirements used for the hiring of lateral transfer police candidates.